The Centre for Comparative Literature welcomes applications for the MA and PhD programs starting in September 2020.
By December 15, 2019, all applicants must have: 1) initiated their application with the School of Graduate Studies; 2) paid the requisite application fee; and 3) submitted a letter of intent, a sample of writing, and a curriculum vitae.
By January 15, 2020, all applicants must have: 1) submitted scanned copies of all original academic transcripts; and 2) two letters of reference.
Our Program codes:
– For PhD program: CO PhD
– For MA program: CO MA2
Canadian applicants: Be sure to apply for OGS and SSHRC awards (further information and deadlines available on the School of Graduate Studies web site).
Step 1: By December 15, 2019, all candidates must submit their applications through the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) website at: https://apply.sgs.utoronto.ca/.
At this website, you will be required to submit the following supporting documents together with the main application form:
- Scanned copies of your original transcripts.
- Two letters of reference. These letters can be submitted up to the January 15th, 2020 deadline. However, we recommend that you contact your letter writers as soon as possible and ask them to submit their letters between December 15 and January 15th.
- A letter of intent (1 1/2 to 2 pages outlining your interests and the research you would like to pursue).
- A sample of writing (an essay no more than 20 pages in length).
- A curriculum vitae, including a section that provides a list and detailed summary of your native language(s) and your proficiency in foreign languages (e.g. years studied; degrees awarded; types and levels of proficiency: reading, speaking, writing; preliminary, intermediary, or advanced).
Step 2: By January 15th, 2020, we should have received Two letters of reference, and, by mail to the Centre for Comparative Literature at Isabel Bader Theatre, 3rd floor, 93 Charles Street West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5S 1K9:
- A printed copy of your on-line Application Summary.
- Original transcripts in sealed envelopes sent directly from the institution(s) attended. Photocopies of transcripts will not be accepted.
- Proof of English Language Facility if applicable. It is essential that all incoming graduate students have a good command of English. Facility in the English language must be demonstrated by all applicants educated outside Canada whose primary language is not English. This requirement is a condition of admission and should be met before registration. The IELTS Institution Code for the University of Toronto is 0982.
Contact person: Bao Nguyen, Graduate Administrator. Tel: 416 813 4041.